Take the Wheel
Oklahoma law allows teenagers who complete a Driver's Education course, including AAA's parent-taught "Take the Wheel" program, described here, to receive an unrestricted driver's license at an earlier age (16 1/2 years old) than students who choose to not take Driver's Education (17 1/2 years old).
• Get an insurance discount for completing the program!
• Certified by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.
• Driver education program recognized by the state.
• You don't have to be a AAA Member to participate
How Much Does It Cost? As a not-for-profit organization, AAA can concentrate on providing high quality materials while holding your costs down. The price of "Take the Wheel" is just:
• AAA Members - $104.50 plus tax
• Non Members - $124.50 plus tax
Phase I (textbook) instruction can be started at any time. However, before Phase II (behind-the-wheel) instruction begins, the student must be at least 15 and 1/2 years of age, possess a valid Oklahoma Driver's Instruction (Learner's) Permit, and the parent must submit an affidavit and have it accepted by the Oklahoma Dept. of Public Safety stating the parent is a licensed driver and the vehicle is properly insured. An affidavit comes with the AAA "Take the Wheel" kit. They are also available by calling DPS at (405) 425-7746. Contact DPS in Oklahoma City at (405) 425-7746 or [email protected]