Around the World and Back Home Again This Spring
With winter here, the thought of warm spring breezes and colorful vistas are a welcome slice of heaven. Now is the time to start thinking about springtime travel. In fact, this is the best time to start planning your escape.
Where do you see yourself going in 2017? It’s a new year and there is no shortage of places to go. With AAA Member Choice Vacations the world is at your fingertips. You can travel to the corners of the world and take in the vibrant colors that spring provides as the world is blooming in the springtime. It is a wonderful time to get out and explore. The weather is mild and the crowds haven’t shown up to all the prime locations yet. Prices are a bit lower still and since the summertime tourists haven’t arrived yet, you can breath easy knowing you will be able to explore at a more relaxed pace.
Many AAA Member Choice Vacations tours are lovely in April and May - The Springtime Tulip River Cruise, Cultural Treasures of Japan, Journey through Southern France, England’s Treasures, Tuscan and Umbrian Countryside and so much more! Here are two that are sure to bloom your interest.
Springtime Tulip River Cruise
featuring Dutch and Belgian Waterways
Experience the color and glory of spring on this leisurely river cruise through Holland and Belgium. Float past blooming fields of flowers and windmills. Visit the expansive tulip fields of Keukenhof Gardens, home to more than 7 million tulips and one of the most visited attractions in all of Europe! Visit Kinderdijk, and see Holland’s largest concentration of windmills. Enjoy a canal cruise in the heart of Amsterdam. Step back to medieval times during a Bruges sightseeing tour. Sample artisanal cheese at a Dutch farm. Stop in Arnhem, the favorite summer retreat of the Dutch royal family.
Cultural Treasures of Japan
Come to know Japanese culture both ancient and modern. In Tokyo, explore the famous Ginza district, see the Imperial Palace and join a family in their home for a tea ceremony. See Asakusa’s famous Sensō-ji, a Buddhist temple dedicated to the Bodhisattva Kannon. Explore the lakeside resort of Hakone. Cruise Lake Ashi. Climb aboard the Kachi Kachi Ropeway and take in epic views of Mt. Fuji. Tour Matsumoto Castle, the “Crow Castle.” Discover Takayama, a town in the Japanese Alps. Sit down at a traditional noodle shop. Marvel at the gassho-zukuri-style homes of Shirakawa. Visit Kanazawa’s Omicho market and the Samurai district. Partake in a gold leaf class. Kyoto is the cultural capital of Japan and a marvel to behold. Explore Kyoto’s Nijo Castle, home of the first Shogun. Take a lesson in the art of stenciling. Board the Shinkansen “bullet” train to travel to Hiroshima where you’ll visit the Peace Memorial Museum. Finally, sit down to a special farewell dinner in Kyoto that features a Geisha show.
In addition to these tours that immerse you in the colors of spring, there are other destinations that are simply enchanting during the springtime:
- Amsterdam: It is an absolute delight to visit Amsterdam in spring! Starting in early spring you can watch winter layers melt away to make way for stunning and colorful blossoms and blooms that will take your breath away!
- Cape Town: This is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Springtime there is actually autumn. It’s a time when crowds thin, foliage pops with color and the weather is still lovely and the water warm.
- Vancouver: Surrounded by mountains and beaches, Vancouver is a natural playground with lots to do when the weather is fine. This is another city that comes back to life in the spring. Springtime festivals bring locals out of the winter doldrums to enjoy their outdoorsy lifestyles. You can literally feel the joy in the air!
- London: Mild weather in early spring makes for the perfect time enjoy all that is wonderful about this bustling iconic destination just before it becomes even more bustling in the summertime. See the parks blooming with flowers and lush green grass and trees. The smell of spring is definitely in the air.
So many choices, but sometimes we just need to look no further than our own backyard to find the most amazing spring beauty. On the spring tours of the Heritage of America, you will not only find sheer beauty, but also an epic story. This will be one unforgettable journey topped off by Washington, DC’s world-famous cherry blossoms.
- Heritage of America: Follow the epic story of American democracy. Join a local guide on a tour of New York City, featuring the Empire State Building, Greenwich Village and other time honored landmarks. View the Liberty Bell and see Independence Hall in Philadelphia. Walk the hallowed battlefield at Gettysburg and tour the National Military Park & Museum. Enjoy a choice between visiting President Eisenhower’s home (a National Historic Site) or a walking tour of historic downtown Gettysburg. Travel along the famous Skyline drive for amazing views of the Shenandoah Valley, and sample wines from a picturesque Virginia vineyard. Visit the presidential estates of Washington’s Mount Vernon and Jefferson’s Monticello. Tour some of Colonial Williamsburg’s 88 restored historic buildings and dine in a traditional tavern. Learn about the American Revolution at Yorktown and explore the outdoor living history museum, including a re-created Continental Army encampment and Revolution-era farm. Explore the countless treasures of the Smithsonian Institution with your choice of visiting the National Air and Space Museum or the National Museum of American History. Tour Washington, D.C.’s National Mall and view the moving World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Korean War Memorial. Visit Arlington National Cemetery.
Finally, don’t forget the National Parks. The National Park Service just celebrated its 100-year anniversary, so there’s no better time to visit places like the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone National Park. One of the best reasons to visit in springtime is to avoid the summer rush and take in their natural beauty without the crowds. Enjoy clear paths to lookout points over the most majestic and iconic sites without waiting in line or dodging a stranger’s head to take a photo!
Don’t wait until the summer to travel. Springtime is every bit as lovely as summer. With AAA Member Choice Vacations, you can go all over the world, and sometimes you need to look no further than our own backyard to find the most amazing natural beauty. Now is the time to take advantage of the amazing benefits traveling in the spring brings and book your unforgettable springtime journey.